Science and Practice of Meditation workshop
This workshop will be an exploration of the Science and Practice of Mediation.
At this workshop we shall:
- Explore the various types of meditation practiced throughout the different cultures of the world
- Look at how the brain seems to be pre-wired to enable and benefit from the practice of meditation as discovered from recent studies in neuroscience
- Look at the effect meditation has had on long term mantra based meditators
- Look at the effect meditation has on health in general
- Explore the spiritual/psychological reasons to practice meditation
- We will also practice four different types of meditation throughout the day
The practices will be:
- a mindful awareness exercise
- a spoken guided meditation
- a Buddhist visualization technique
- and a simple Indian breath/sound (mantra) based technique
This workshop is being delivered and led by David Nock who:
- has been studying philosophy for 31 years
- practicing mantra based meditation for 36 years
- studied various other types of meditation practices
- and has a keen interest in the positive effect meditation has on humanity
David has run this workshop quite a few times now and it is always a peaceful, stilling and enjoyable experience.
School of Philosophy Midlands, Newland House, 137-139 Hagley Road, Birmingham B16 8UA
Sunday November 2, 2014.
The programme will include refreshments and a full vegetarian buffet lunch.
If you have any questions in advance please feel free to call